[CentOS] CentOS 5.2 with IBM SERVERAID 6i

Miguel Medalha miguelmedalha at sapo.pt
Tue Nov 18 20:43:03 UTC 2008

> It's a real raid adapter and the linux kernel is able to handle it
> with the standard ips module

I found some references in Google that seemed to indicate a "fakeraid"
controller, one that depends on the driver to do the RAID calculations...

> It's always up to you to decide but i'd prefer using the hw raid
> controller in that case of course ...

My fear is that in case of controller failure it will be difficult to
find in time a controller that recognizes the particular format of the
array, or that it will be too expensive. As an example, I recently tried
to buy the second processor for the machine (it originally came with
only one) and wanted more than 1500 dollars (yes!) for the P4 Xeon 3GHz CPU.

I am thankful for you for answers!