[CentOS] how to debug hardware lockups?

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Wed Nov 19 00:39:48 UTC 2008

Ross Walker wrote:

> Ah, memory mapped files, another very good reason to use ECC with
> large memory machines.

Normal ECC doesn't seem to be all that great IMO, though I have been
very impressed with HP's Advanced ECC it seems much more resilient
to memory errors. Bad ram has been my #1 source for system failures
over the past few years.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00256943/c00256943.pdf

Though I think it's HP specific, haven't seen that technology anywhere
else yet.

Of course there is memory mirroring and memory sparing technology as
well though I've yet to run into any machines that actually used
it.

nate