[CentOS] Re: HW issue during instalaltion

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Nov 19 00:46:30 UTC 2008

on 11-18-2008 10:03 AM MHR spake the following:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 7:18 AM, Phil Schaffner
> <Philip.R.Schaffner at nasa.gov> wrote:
>> Same here; however, on a similar-but-different Shuttle box I bought for my
>> son recently the only Linux I could get to install was the Ubuntu Intrepid
>> Ibex beta (release version 8.10 is now out).  Tried several other recent
>> Linux versions including CentOS 5, Fedora 9 (haven't tried 10 pre-release
>> yet), OpenSuse, PClinuxOS, Knoppix, and Ubuntu Hardy. None could see the
>> disk.  Windoze XP worked.  :-(
>> An enterprise Linux should never be expected to support the latest hardware.
>>  Maybe CentOS 5.3 or 6 when they hit the e-street???  Until then, you may
>> well be stuck with some more bleeding-edge release.
> That's true, but, still, if XP can handle it, it seems as though
> CentOS 5, which is six years newer than XP, should be able to handle
> it....
> OTTOMH....
> mhr
But windows drivers usually load and probe the hardware on install, but linux
usually depends on the PCI id's to load modules. So windows will try and load
a driver, and if it doesn't bomb, record that it works and keep using it. The
linux install effectively looks at the PCI id numbers and looks for a match in
the /lib/modules/modules.* files.

A linux driver can sometimes be coaxed to load just by editing one of these
files, but not always. Some of the kernel patches are just edits to the
modules.pcimap file.

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and
you notice quickly if they don't!!!!