[CentOS] Re: HW issue during instalaltion

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Nov 19 00:46:30 UTC 2008

on 11-18-2008 10:03 AM MHR spake the following:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 7:18 AM, Phil Schaffner
> <Philip.R.Schaffner at nasa.gov> wrote:
>> Same here; however, on a similar-but-different Shuttle box I bought for my
>> son recently the only Linux I could get to install was the Ubuntu Intrepid
>> Ibex beta (release version 8.10 is now out).  Tried several other recent
>> Linux versions including CentOS 5, Fedora 9 (haven't tried 10 pre-release
>> yet), OpenSuse, PClinuxOS, Knoppix, and Ubuntu Hardy. None could see the
>> disk.  Windoze XP worked.  :-(
>>
>> An enterprise Linux should never be expected to support the latest hardware.
>>  Maybe CentOS 5.3 or 6 when they hit the e-street???  Until then, you may
>> well be stuck with some more bleeding-edge release.
>>

> That's true, but, still, if XP can handle it, it seems as though
> CentOS 5, which is six years newer than XP, should be able to handle
> it....
>
> OTTOMH....
>
> mhr
But windows drivers usually load and probe the hardware on install, but linux
usually depends on the PCI id's to load modules. So windows will try and load
a driver, and if it doesn't bomb, record that it works and keep using it. The
linux install effectively looks at the PCI id numbers and looks for a match in
the /lib/modules/modules.* files.

A linux driver can sometimes be coaxed to load just by editing one of these
files, but not always. Some of the kernel patches are just edits to the
modules.pcimap file.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and