[CentOS] XFS or JFS on CentOS 5?

Jiann-Ming Su sujiannming at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 15:59:25 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 3:34 AM, Laurent Wandrebeck
<l.wandrebeck at gmail.com> wrote:
> Outside more up-to-date question, here is my own experience with jfs/xfs.
> The bigger the files with JFS, the slower it is.
> XFS tends to get similar performance, whatever the filesize is.
> I've had data corruption with both. The thing is, I don't know where
> it comes from with JFS, with XFS *do* *not* *ever* run a box without
> an UPS. Unclean shutdown will always eat some of your data.
> I've been happy with ext3 (no data corruption ever happened) but its
> speed is behind the first two.

Supposedly ext3 has sped up with the 2.6 kernels.

  http://linuxgazette.net/122/piszcz.html

The only thing I don't like about ext3 is the fsck.  On relatively
small filesystems, it's an annoyance.  But on huge filesystem,
500-1000GB, a system may take a long, long time to come back up.
--
Jiann-Ming Su
"The system's broke, Hank.  The election baby has peed in