[CentOS] XFS or JFS on CentOS 5?

Toby Bluhm tkb at alltechmedusa.com
Fri Nov 21 14:40:35 UTC 2008

Sorin Srbu wrote:
> Vandaman <> scribbled on Thursday, November 20, 2008 5:31 PM:
>>> And I am sure there
>>> are usecase's where Jfs is a better option than Xfs.
>>> Does this help answer the question ?
> So which fs is preferred when, any rule of thumb one should know of? Pointers
> gratefully accepted.

There's never a single really good answer for your type of question. You
need to assess *your* needs against the various file systems available.

I don't know how up-to-date this is kept, but it seems to be a good
place to start off by comparing features:

Performance - you should be able to find something more current, but I
believe the basic trends are still true:

Just repeating what's already been said - ext3 is the default on Centos.
xfs support is contributor added. Support for other file systems seems
to drop off quickly - you may be able to get there, but it will take
more work on your part - which may also affect how updates are handled -
especially kernel updates.

Personally, in years past, I've toyed with xfs, jfs and reiserfs3. xfs &
reiserfs always felt twitchy to me. I liked jfs, but stayed with ext3
for production. Couldn't shrink jfs, if I recall correctly, which was
important to me. I've never been burned by ext3. It's there - it works.
I've never had a real need for anything beyond ext3's capabilities.
Normal precautions like backups, UPS, etc. go a long way to ensure piece
of mind.

Also, if it turns out ext4 is the cat's meow, I expect there to be a
trivial upgrade from ext3.