[CentOS] Re: how can I stress a server?

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri Nov 21 19:37:22 UTC 2008

on 11-21-2008 10:10 AM nate spake the following:
> Rob Townley wrote:
>> i have some several year old DL360's and ML370's and love em -
>> especially hw raid, but i my local supplier hasn't had any for several
>> months.  Uptil a few months ago, password reset info on ebay was sent
>> in the clear, so i have a very hard time trusting ebay.  It would be
>> great if something like LinuxBios / OpenBios could stresstest the
>> machine and then disable any RAM addresses that proved flaky - whether
>> ECC or not.
> Wondering if you had heard of this project? I don't trust doing
> this sort of thing myself(paranoid) but..
> http://rick.vanrein.org/linux/badram/
> I think that (or another similar project) can even take memtest86
> output and use that as a map for blocking out the bad parts of the
> ram chips.
> nate
I wouldn't trust that anymore. That is from a day when ram was priced like it
was made out of gold or platinum. Bad ram over time will just make an ever
expanding hole.

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and
you notice quickly if they don't!!!!