[CentOS] how can I stress a server?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 20:40:39 UTC 2008

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> I'm sitting with a very expensive paper weight right now, and I don't
> know what todo. The same websites are running very well on a machine
> with a Gigabyte G31MX-S motherboard + 4GB DDRII 800 RAM + C2D 6750
> CPU. This is what baffles me, how can the same load on a slower
> machine work fine, but on the faster one not?

I kind of lost track of this thread and missed any useful performance
information if you posted it.  Is this the same machine that has
mysterious crashes?  If so, I would just give up, or replace the RAM and
power supply and then give up.

Performance wise, what kind of load does it have?  Most servers that
aren't doing graphics or number crunching are limited by disk i/o, not
cpu so the disks and controllers are the interesting things to compare
although if the controller requires a lot of CPU intervention (ide, sata
in some modes) it may look like a cpu problem.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com