[CentOS] XFS or JFS on CentOS 5?

Sorin Srbu sorin.srbu at orgfarm.uu.se
Tue Nov 25 07:37:05 UTC 2008

Karanbir Singh <> scribbled on Friday, November 21, 2008 3:50 PM:

>> Vandaman <> scribbled on Thursday, November 20, 2008 5:31 PM:

>> So which fs is preferred when, any rule of thumb one should know of?
>> Pointers gratefully accepted.
>>

> the fact that you are asking this question would indicate, to me, that
> you dont need either of these. You should be sticking with ext3 as
> shipped in the stock distro.

The KISS-rule applies in my case, I know. 8-) Just thought I'd check with you
guys if there's something else than the default ext3 one should look into.

A friend of mine running mythtv, swears by ReiserFS, or if it was xfs, can't
recall exactly. Anyway, one of those fs's is supposedly better with large
files than ext3 is. That's what got me asking.

You're right though, the best all-round solution is ext3. Like Toby said
earlier, it's there and it works.

Thanks for the feedback.
--
/Sorin