[CentOS] XFS or JFS on CentOS 5?

Amos Shapira amos.shapira at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 09:25:10 UTC 2008

2008/11/25 Sorin Srbu <sorin.srbu at orgfarm.uu.se>:
> MHR <> scribbled on Friday, November 21, 2008 7:01 PM:
>
>> So, your situation is the real determining factor.  If it's important
>> enough to your place of employment, do a study to see what works best
>> for you and go with that.  Otherwise, I'd say just stick with ext3 as
>> long as that works for you.
>
> No, no, this is directed purely at home use. I've been playing around with
> MythTV a bit, which usually sooner or later means big files-handling. Ext3 is
> not that good at that.

I used "to swear" by ReiserFS for a few years on my home desktop,
including through a few power failure, until one day I tried to shrink
it and lost all data.

I now stick to ext3. It's good enough for anything I need on my
desktop, it doesn't require extra hoops to jump through in order to
install (I think Debian installer supports it but I don't use Debian
any more) and I feel comfortable enough to play with it.

Cheers,

--Amos