[CentOS] Sun depricates JRE 1.4.2, what impact on Centos?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 19:30:38 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
> From a different list:
>
> "JRE from SUN is getting depracated:
>
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html"
>

> Centos comes with the 1.4.2-gcj-compat rpm.  What impact does this all have?

Not much on CentOS directly. I believe the code that CentOS comes with
is a compiler to allow for 1.4.x code to be compiled within
limitations to local execution. It does not act as a Run Time engine.
Fixes to the compat have been seperate from what Sun has had to supply
to their 1.4.2.

For the enterprise customer, it could have some impact as MANY
enterprise applications work only on 1.4.x.

I also believe that IBM was saying that it would support their 1.4.x
for a while longer. But I haven't seen confirmation of that.

> I do have JRE 1.6.0_05 installed on most of my systems (I see that update 10
> is the now current version).

The next CentOS-5.x should come with openjdk-6 when RHEL-5.3 is
released. That will be more of where interesting issues may come.

Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux