[CentOS] tightvnc server fails to start

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Nov 26 14:16:38 UTC 2008

MHR wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 1:14 PM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
>
>> I tried to use tightvnc back in August and had some help, but I stopped due
>> to IPv6 support.  Now I am back at tightvnc and cannot get the server
>> started.  This is on a new Centos install that did have regular vncserver
>> working on it (I did a yum erase vnc-server first).
>>

> Are you sure you don't want to ask this in the rpmforge list?

I have and on the vnc list.

> Tightvnc is an rpmforge package, not a CentOS (or RHEL) package....

yes, but there could well be people here that have it working that do
not follow either the rpmforge list or the vnc list.

I did some more testing.  This problem only occurs for userid root (yes
I am allowing root login via VNC, but this is in a test setup in a
closed network on test servers).  userid foo only has font problems
which are fixed with:

cd /usr/X11R6/
mkdir lib
cd lib