[CentOS] disk space issues...any help is greatly appreciated

Rudi Ahlers rudiahlers at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 15:24:02 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 5:19 PM, Ray Leventhal <centos at swhi.net> wrote:
> Sorin Srbu wrote:
>>
>> Ray Leventhal <> scribbled on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 3:50 PM:
>>

>>> I have additional HDDs available if growing the partition is in order
>>> (would appreciate pointers to that, if applicable), but I'm really
>>> stumped as to where the space is being eaten up.
>>>

>> Try a yum clean all. That might help. But if it's as you say, not
>> connected to the internet, you probably are not running yum at all, so it
>> might not help. Check your temp-directories and clean out as necessary.
>>
>> You still have 1gig free. Did you do a full install? If you can live with
>> it, uninstall packages you don't need.
>>

> Hi Sorin,
>
> It was a nearly-full install and I do connect periodically to do updates.  I
> did a yum clean all before writing to the list, with no significant change
> to the disk usage.
>
> I will list packages next and see what can be removed safely.  I truly don't
> know what is filling the 130G...this should be more than sufficient as I've
> loaded CentOS5.x on many systems without this issue.
>
> Thanks again for your input,
> -Ray

Have you rebooted? Maybe there's a glitch in there.

Also, do a search for .ISO files? Maybe, just maybe someone dumped
some ISO's on there? Altenatively, if you run du -h ./ | more, you'll
be able to see which folder is the biggest, and then goto that folder
and see what's in there.

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers