[SOLVED] [CentOS] disk space issues...any help is greatly appreciated

Robert kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 26 16:36:19 UTC 2008

Ray Leventhal wrote:
> Sorin Srbu wrote:
>> Ray Leventhal <> scribbled on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 3:50 PM:
>>> I have additional HDDs available if growing the partition is in order
>>> (would appreciate pointers to that, if applicable), but I'm really
>>> stumped as to where the space is being eaten up.
>> Try a yum clean all. That might help. But if it's as you say, not
>> connected to
> Hi again all,
> There was a 3.5hr power outage last night which explains it all.
> Sadly, I've got some investigation to do about why my *supposed* 5hrs
> of battery backup didn't last long enough to cover, but the
> mount point was, in fact, unmounted and so rsync did it's job right
> into the folder as opposed to the ext. drive.
> As always, my sincere thanks to this list and to our CentOS maintainers.
> Kindest regards,
> -Ray
I noticed the chorus of agreement that your problem was likely a result
of failure to mount your backup drive.  My backup script, which also
uses rsync begins like this, insuring a good mount before shoving bytes
around.  It's not SUPPOSED to be mounted before the script runs but I
test for that, too.  (The drive label is OTOT):

        # Backup using rsync and rotating directories
        #Set the Dest. Mount
        MS=8388608 # Minimum free space 8GB
        # Drive mount logic:
        if [ -z $(mount | grep $UD | awk '{ print $3 }') ]; then
          mount $UD
        if [ -z $(mount | grep $UD | awk '{ print $3 }') ]; then
          echo "Drive refuses to mount!!"
          exit 1
        # Drive is mounted. Get device name
        XDR=$(mount | grep $UD | awk '{ print $1 }')

etc., etc.