[CentOS] how to connect to a switch with a serial cable? - what command(s) to use?

Rudi Ahlers rudiahlers at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 22:58:13 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 2:53 PM, Guy Boisvert <boisvert.guy at videotron.ca> wrote:
> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I see one of our switches doesn't want to respond to HTTPS or SSH
>> commands, and I know it's connected to a server via a serial cable.
>> I'm 3 hours drive from that server at the moment, so how can I connect
>> to it from the Linux server, via SSH?
> Hi Rudi,
>        First, what brand / model of switch is it?  Cisco? HP?
> Cisco & HP support:
> - Serial Connection
> - Telnet
> - Web
> - SSH
> But be aware that supported connection type varies from model to model and
> with firmware version / config.
> For example, on Cisco switches, you won't get SSH if it's not configured
> properly.  On Cisco, serial is always enable out of the box so you can
> configure it.  It takes their "blue cable" (their are models with the black
> one too) and default serial settings are 9600,8,n,1.
> Hope this helps.
> Guy Boisvert, ing.
> IngTegration inc.

It's a D-Link Layer 2 switch, with HTTPS & SSH configured, but I think
there's something wrong with it, so I want to connect to the console
to see what's up.

Something just told me when I got the switch to connect the console
cable to a machine's serial port, just for in case.

And now is that "for in case" scenario. So,how do I use minincom,or
screen to connect to it? I know the D-Link tech connected via his
latop on using Window's Hyperterminal to connect to it, but the Linux
server doesn't have it.

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers