[CentOS] Clone ATA to SATA HDD

MHR mhullrich at gmail.com
Sat Nov 29 20:58:44 UTC 2008

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 12:54 PM, Shade.GE <shade.ge at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yea the SATA modules are included in the initrd. Grub boots but i cannot
> get over to init. Well, its not important if LVM is there or not. Its
> the intel board with the singel core atom cpu. so 2 sata and one ide
> port. It looks like that the kernel cannot find the root device. One
> message i got is the swap cannot be enabled because no swap device was
> found.

That could be the drive order confusion I mentioned.

When you tell the PROM to boot from drive 1, for example, the PROM
will go to drive 1's MBR and try to boot from there, but one grub is
loaded and looking around for stage 2, it will see the drives in their
actual physical order, not the PROM's boot order.  You usually have to
intervene when it displays what OS grub thinks it's going to boot and
edit the boot hd to the right disk.

Or are you not getting that far?

mhr