[CentOS] Yum loses memory when kernel is upgraded

Mon Nov 3 12:51:01 UTC 2008
Jussi Hirvi <greenspot at greenspot.fi>

Centos 5.x

Why could this be? After I loaded a xen kernel (by mistake), yum seemed to
lose its knowledge of my CentOS version. I had that fixed by "yum install
centos-release" (I had first to fix the repo addresses for this to succeed).

But after that, I noticed that yum did not remember anymore, what packages
were already installed. It seems that the something happens to the rpm
databases. I think this is connected to kernel upgrades - that is, every
time I update the kernel, the rpm databases are spoiled... (or something).

Right now both of these commands:
    yum list installed
    rpm --query -a

...produce identical results (for practical purposes). Neither list contains
for example amavisd-new, which I'm sure I have installed.

Does someone know a way to prevent the "memory loss" from happening again?

- Jussi

--
Jussi Hirvi * Green Spot
Topeliuksenkatu 15 C * 00250 Helsinki * Finland