[CentOS] disk space issues...any help is greatly appreciated

Wed Nov 26 14:50:08 UTC 2008
Ray Leventhal <centos at swhi.net>

Hi all,

Please pardon my newbie-ness on this issue....I've a / partition which
is full (quite suddenly, actually) and I'm not sure how to fix this.

I've searched for uneeded logs, etc in /var/log and /tmp to no avail.
The system is CentOS 5.2 and is not connected to the internet, serves as
a local LAN server running stock stuff...sendmail, dovecot,
apache..nothing strange or special going on.

I have additional HDDs available if growing the partition is in order
(would appreciate pointers to that, if applicable), but I'm really
stumped as to where the space is being eaten up.

Thanks in advance,
-Ray

My layout is:

#df -h
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
                      131G  130G     0 100% /
/dev/sdc1             271G  156G  102G  61% /home
/dev/sdd1             271G  4.5G  253G   2% /home/905
/dev/sda1              99M   29M   66M  31% /boot
tmpfs                 442M     0  442M   0% /dev/shm

# cat /etc/fstab
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/home             /home                   ext3    defaults        1 2
LABEL=/home/905         /home/905               ext3    defaults        1 2
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap                    swap    defaults        0 0

# cat /etc/mtab
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00 / ext3 rw 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
/dev/sdc1 /home ext3 rw 0 0
/dev/sdd1 /home/905 ext3 rw 0 0
/dev/sda1 /boot ext3 rw 0 0
tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs rw 0 0
none /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw 0 0
sunrpc /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs rpc_pipefs rw 0 0