[CentOS] Picasa vs. native photo management apps

Sat Nov 1 02:24:41 UTC 2008
Lanny Marcus <lmmailinglists at gmail.com>

 Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 4:41 AM, Niki Kovacs <contact at kikinovak.net> wrote:
<snip>
> One request that I got more often lately is Google Picasa. I vaguely
> remember having downloaded and installed it once. As far as I know, it's a
> closed-source Windows app that comes with a WINE emulation layer. Not
> exactly the open source spirit.
>
> As far as I'm concerned, I manage all my photos with some very basic tools:
> GThumb, Nautilus, GIMP, and that's it.
>
> Are there some tasks one performs with Picasa that one can't perform with
> these native programs? Or is there some other well-made photo management
> software that you can recommend as a replacement for Picasa?

A follow on to my previous responses, regarding Google's Picasa for
Linux. My wife has been using M$ Windows recently. I asked her to help
me with some photos, on my box, using Picasa. She had *NO* idea she
was using Picasa on Linux, until I asked her if there were any
differences, between the application she uses on Windows, and the one
on Linux. She thought she was using Picasa on Windows, until I pointed
out that it was running on Linux.