[CentOS] Question re RHEL 5.3

Sat Nov 1 13:31:34 UTC 2008
Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com>

Mhr wrote on Wed, 29 Oct 2008 17:59:40 -0700:

> The one problem I've seen and posted here was w.r.t. smartd error
> reports showing 2^32 - 1 errors on one of the disks (probably my
> system disk) every few minutes.

How has this anything to do with "SATA problems/drive handling"? And could
you please use a decent subject next time?

Regarding your problem: Have you done a smartctl selftest since then, did
you go to smartmontools.sf.net since then and read up on smartmon?
This may just be a problem with smartd not being able to handle the error
codes/number of errors from that disk. If you look at smartmontools.sf.net
and read the man you'll see that vendors are quite inconsistent in what
and how they report and a reversal of byte ordering every now and then
seems to be common. Not to mention that ther smartmon shipping with CentOS
naturally doesn't include the latest code.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany