[CentOS] How to Upgrade GNOME

Thu Nov 13 12:00:30 UTC 2008
Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com>

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 12:46 AM, Sadaruwan Samaraweera
<slinuxworld at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Can any one tell me how to upgrade from the current GNOME version to
> a new version with out upgrading my distribution.

Short answer: There is no supported way for doing this.

Longer Answer: The unsupported methods require a great deal of
gnome/RHEL/CentOS understanding in how things link together. Another
thing to keep in mind is that with a new version of gnome, several of
the underlying utilities for the gui tools are built against a
specific version. You'll either have to have 2 sets installed (which
can cause issues) or you'll have to rebuild most of the gui tools to
link to the new gnome libs., at which point you're basically not on
CentOS anymore.

George Orwell