[CentOS] kmod-xfs and weak-updates

Fri Nov 14 02:14:21 UTC 2008
Tony Schreiner <schreian at bc.edu>

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Tony Schreiner wrote:
>> My question is: kernel 2.6.18-92.1.13 is now the oldest one present
>> on my system and will be removed next update. Do I need to worry
>> about that? Will it take the remaining kmod-xfs with it?
>
> Only files directly owned by the kernel will get removed when the
> kernel rpm is removed from your machine; which, as a policy holds true
> for any rpm. This is one of the many reasons why packagers are
> encouraged to list-and-own specific components and not complete
> directory tree's when they setup the spec files.

My concern came from the fact that xfs.ko belongs to the kmod-xfs
package and older versions kmod-xfs had a dependency on a kernel version
and would be removed by yum when that kernel was removed. I guess that
the latest kmod-xfs-0.4-2 does not; which I suppose I could have checked
for myself in the first place.

Tony