[CentOS] NTP problems

Sat Nov 15 14:19:12 UTC 2008
Dirk H. Schulz <dirk.schulz at kinzesberg.de>

Anne,

please check your /etc/ntp.conf for the "server" statement; CentOS original
is
> server 0.rhel.pool.ntp.org
> server 1.rhel.pool.ntp.org
> server 2.rhel.pool.ntp.org

These 2 server ips you listed do not belong to this pool (you can check via
dns), and resolved backwardly their names do not sound like they are ntp
servers.

You should find out why your ntp tries to send to them (and what).

The "total synchronizations ..." line at least seems to say that your ntp
sync works - you could check that with ntpdate against a server from the
above pool to be sure.

Dirk

--On 15. November 2008 09:54:19 +0000 Anne Wilson
<cannewilson at googlemail.com> wrote:

> My server is supposed to be using ntp, with nothing changed from the
> defaults  set up by CentOS5.  However, daily I see log entries like
>
>  Total synchronizations 2 (hosts: 2)
>
>  **Unmatched Entries**
>    sendto(193.6.222.20) (fd=21): Invalid argument: 1 time(s)
>    sendto(141.89.226.2) (fd=21): Invalid argument: 1 time(s)
>
> Does this mean that ntp is failing?  I assume so, and if so, how do I
> change  the sources to something that will work?
>
> Anne

Dirk H. Schulz
IT Systems Service
Wiesenweg 12, 85567 Grafing
Tel. 0 80 92/86 25 68
Fax. 0 80 92/86 25 72
Technik vom Feinsten - und das nötige Tuning