[CentOS] how to debug hardware lockups?

Sat Nov 15 18:13:24 UTC 2008
Rudi Ahlers <rudiahlers at gmail.com>

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 7:26 PM, Vandaman <vandaman2002-sk at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Rudi Ahlers  wrote:
>
>> We have a server which locks up about once a week (for the
>> past 3
>> weeks now), without any warning, and the only way to
>> recover it, is to
>> reset the server. This causes unwanted downtime, and often
>> software
>> loss as well.
>>
>> How do I debug the server, which runs CentOS 5.2 to see why
>> it locks
>> up?
>
> Are those the only logs you've got. Normally linux is very chatty,
> and you get WARNING, PANIC etc messages. What kernel are you using?
> Does a previous kernel or CentOS plus kernel stop the problem?
>
> Regards,
> Vandaman.

Well, on a standard CentOS 5.2, /var/log/messages will be the the
place to log problems like this, or where else can I get more info?

I've upgraded the kernel to xen.gz-2.6.18-92.1.18.el5 but can only
reboot the server tomorrow, during a planned maintenaince window and
then see what it does

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers