[CentOS] is udev necessary?

Mon Nov 17 04:23:12 UTC 2008
Berend Dekens <berend at cyberwizzard.nl>

Rudi Ahlers schreef:
> Unfortunately I don't see anything useful in the logs. If I let it
> bootup by itself, then it reboots just after booting udev. If,
> however, I press CTRL+C the moment I see udev on the screen, I have
> attached a snippet from /var/log/message - which doesn't show me
> anything at all.

Indeed - I see some error messages about memory being assign to weird
places and ata1 claiming to be a dummy... But nothing that should
warrant something like a reboot...

I did however see some Xen messages. I am no expert so I can't see if
this is a hypervisor kernel or a virtual machine kernel. If you are not
planning on using the machine for or in an Xen environment, you could
try to switch to a regular one (even if it is for testing). I have had
some strange behaviour from systems which reacted poorly to
virtualisation software (most of those get fixed but they can send you
into the wrong direction).

Another thing that came to mind was that udev might finish properly but
the next task might crash the system. I would however expect something
in the message output. Did you check if the udev service claimed to be
started if you ctrl+c out of it? Its unlikely but can't hurt to test.

If all else fails, you could probably disable udev for now and check if
everything is working (make sure you don't need pluggable device
support, otherwise you really do need udev). Plan B would be to Google
for a debugging mode in udev - unless someone on the list knows how to
activate that. My guess would be to edit the udev script and pass
something to the program (most of the time its something like '-v' or
'-vv' or '-d' or something - look for verbose or debug options).

Good luck,
Berend