[CentOS] how can I stress a server?

Tue Nov 18 15:53:51 UTC 2008
David G. Mackay <mackay_d at bellsouth.net>

On Tue, 2008-11-18 at 16:48 +0200, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> I have the exact same setup on a few other machines, using Gigabyte
> motherboards + 4GB RAM. Other than that, the HDD's are the same, the
> OS is the same, and HyperVM is the same. I basically run yum upgrade
> once a week on all the machines. The only difference is this one has
> an Intel DG35EC motherboard with a Q9300 Quad Core CPU on it, which is
> supposed to be more power efficient than some of the Core 2 Duo CPU's
> on the other machine.
>
> As a matter of interest, all 5 Virtual Machines have been running on a
> Gigabyte motherboard + i6450 CPU + 4GB RAM since yesterday, and it's
> very very stable.
>

> So, my thinking is, it's the motherboard. It could also be the RAM,
> but I'm not 100% sure yet. The machine had 4GB initially, and then I
> added another 4GB hoping the problem would go away, but it didn't.

I seem to recall that one of the differences between AMD and Intel
virtualization is that AMD chips have additional memory management
capabilities that are specific to virtualization on the CPU chip, where
Intel processors require additional support circuitry.  The fact that
your problems surface when you're running xen suggests that possibly the
additional support isn't functioning correctly.  Is it possible that
there's some obfuscated BIOS setting that's necessary to enable it, or
that it's just not present on the motherboard?

Dave