[CentOS] how can I stress a server?

Thu Nov 20 09:07:03 UTC 2008
Rudi Ahlers <rudiahlers at gmail.com>

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 11:48 PM, Guy Boisvert
<boisvert.guy at videotron.ca> wrote:
> Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>>
>> John, I know what ECC does. I have 2 Dell PE860 servers with 8GB ECC
>> DDRII RAM as well, and they're both giving RAM problems. I had top
>> swap-out the RAM 2 times with the suppliers already, and swapped out a
>> motherboard on the one of the servers. Honestly, ECC isn't my
>> favourate to use.
>
> Wow!  Everybody doing serious business wouldn't go without it (i work for a
> couple of Banks and government agencies), but that's your choice and i
> respect that.  But if you want to talk about five 9's, then you'd surely go
> with ECC and other invaluable features like watchdog timer, management
> cards, BIOS serial redirection, chip kill, etc.
>
> It all depend on your needs i agree but don't reject server grade hardware
> so easily!

I wasn't rejecting server grade hardware. I was a bit irritated by the
fact that I don't have server grade hardware, and every says get
proper hardware. It ticked me off a bit that only a server can be
good, and not a standard desktop which is also used to serve content
to many people over the net.

>> At the same time, I have about 8 servers with cheap Gigabyte
>> motherboards and non-ECC RAM, which have been running for close to 4
>> years now, without any hickups at all.
>
> That's bad stats.  It's not because my neighbour has a problem with his
> Mercedes and that i have no problem with my 4 Hyundai that Hyundai are
> better than Mercedes!!!  Not only that, but sitting 6 adults in a mini
> Hyundai may be possible but we'll be much more confortable in the big
> Mercedes!  Know what i mean?

Sure, but my argument will stay the same, " you don't need a 10 Ton
truck to move a 2 Ton load" and I think the same applies to everything
else. No need to get something totally over specced & over priced todo
the same job. For mission critical stuff, I'd go the server grade
route, but for this it isn't really necessary in my eyes. The clients
wouldn't pay the more expensive price for the more expensive hardware
either.

>> It's the first time I try the Intel board, since it's supposed to be a
>> step-up from the desktop boards, and has 4 memory slots as apposed to
>> only 2.
>
> ... and limited by the fanout of the CPU / Chipset... As you put more
> memory, you'll have to relax timing and use proper memory brand that is
> certified for the mainboard.
>
>> The server had the same problems when I only had 4GBM RAM (2 slots
>> used & 2 slots open), so I don't think that the capacitive load is the
>> problem here. Right now the server is still at the datacentre - which
>> is 2 hours drive there & back with traffic, so I'm going to get it
>> later today / tonight, as soon as I've moved all the data across to
>> the slower gigabyte server, and then I can try the RAM timings thing
>> in the BIOS.
>
> This could be a chipset problem, bad power supply, and the list goes on.

Well, this is what I want to find out, what exactly is causing the problem :)

>> But, how can I put a LOT of load onto it, and see what's causing the
>> problem? For all I know, the motherboard could be faulty, or the CPU,
>> or maybe even the SATA bus?
>>

> Putting high load without having hardware monitoring won't tell you much
> IMHO.
>
> I'd first test the power supply.  Then remove everything you can and test
> with Memtest86+ (let's say, overnight, and while you're at it watch the
> power supply under load).

I don't know how to test the PSU. Everything starts up fine, the fans
work fine, etc. Memtest86+ didn't report any errors.