[CentOS] XFS or JFS on CentOS 5?

Fri Nov 21 14:40:35 UTC 2008
Toby Bluhm <tkb at alltechmedusa.com>

Sorin Srbu wrote:
> Vandaman <> scribbled on Thursday, November 20, 2008 5:31 PM:
>
>>> And I am sure there
>>> are usecase's where Jfs is a better option than Xfs.
>>>
>>> Does this help answer the question ?
>
> So which fs is preferred when, any rule of thumb one should know of? Pointers
> gratefully accepted.

There's never a single really good answer for your type of question. You
need to assess *your* needs against the various file systems available.

I don't know how up-to-date this is kept, but it seems to be a good
place to start off by comparing features:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems

Performance - you should be able to find something more current, but I
believe the basic trends are still true:

http://fsbench.netnation.com/

Just repeating what's already been said - ext3 is the default on Centos.
xfs support is contributor added. Support for other file systems seems
to drop off quickly - you may be able to get there, but it will take
more work on your part - which may also affect how updates are handled -
especially kernel updates.

Personally, in years past, I've toyed with xfs, jfs and reiserfs3. xfs &
reiserfs always felt twitchy to me. I liked jfs, but stayed with ext3
for production. Couldn't shrink jfs, if I recall correctly, which was
important to me. I've never been burned by ext3. It's there - it works.
I've never had a real need for anything beyond ext3's capabilities.
Normal precautions like backups, UPS, etc. go a long way to ensure piece
of mind.

Also, if it turns out ext4 is the cat's meow, I expect there to be a
trivial upgrade from ext3.

--
tkb