[CentOS] syslog remote computers

Sat Nov 22 23:17:41 UTC 2008
Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com>

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 2:14 PM, Ricardo Carrillo <davxoc at gmail.com> wrote:
> mmm I'm not sure if I understood, but when you want to register any
> log to remote host you must to do as follow:
>
> mail.*                                                     @10.0.1.1
>
> The example above is for register any mail logs into mail to remote
> host with 10.0.1.1 ip address

Correct, however as I read the OP's query, he wants them in separate
files. This is something that the default syslog just can't cope with.
With rsyslog, I can create /var/log/hosts/host-a/mail.log,
/var/log/hosts/host-b/mail.log, OR you can do
/var/log/host-A-mail.log, host-B-mail.log etc.

There are several methods with rsyslog to create logging templates, as
well as regex filters and operations that can be performed. It allows
for much greater flexibility when it comes to providing a central
logging facility.

George Orwell