[CentOS] Stop the FUD Xen is not deprecated

Tue Nov 25 18:43:14 UTC 2008
Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk>

Brett Serkez wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 10:45 AM, Vandaman <vandaman2002-sk at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>> Do people have wet underwear for nothing over XEN?
>>
>> See http://www.redhat.com/promo/qumranet/
>>
>> As far as CentOS is concerned saying Xen is deprecated is
>> jumping the gun. CentOS ships with Xen and as long as upstream
>> supports it, CentOS by extension supports it.
>
> Thank you for the clarification.
>
> What isn't clear from reading the above referenced material is if Xen
> will be included in future CentOS releases.

Which is why I originally wrote...

"*Some* are interpreting this... as an indication that xen will be
dropped from RHEL6 as they direct their efforts towards KVM."

*If* xen is not included in RHEL6 then it will, by definition, be
deprecated in favour of KVM irrespective of whether (or not) RH
continues to support it throughout the life of RHEL5. Note that xen was
dropped (not deprecated, dropped) in Fedora 10, read into that what you
will :)

So xen isn't technically deprecated yet, but if I were a betting man, I
wouldn't be putting all my eggs in a virtualized xen basket.

Some might choose to call that FUD, and that's their prerogative. In a
way they're right as Red Hat's statement on xen does contain elements of
uncertainty and doubt as they have not committed to continued ongoing
support of xen past the current RHEL5 product lifecycle, and that may
make some fearful for it's long term future within the Red Hat landscape.