[CentOS] Getting a disk driver from 3ware installed.

Tue Nov 25 18:59:39 UTC 2008
Steve Campbell <campbell at cnpapers.com>

Steve Campbell wrote:
> We are having a little problem with a raid array, and it appears that
> the disk driver may be at fault.
>
> A disk driver  for the kernel we are running, 2.6.18-53.1.21.el5.i386,
> has been downloaded from 3ware's site. The only documentation included
> says to run "linux dd". I'm assuming this is at the boot prompt upon
> startup, and not installation (I hope).
>
> I have found some old threads about this for Centos 4, but it kinda
> drifted away and never really gave much info on what to do with the
> files that were downloaded.
>
> Can anyone tell me what I'm supposed to do with this downloaded zipped
> file to get it to use the driver, please?
>
> Thanks
>
> Steve Campbell

I'm going to sort of "close" this thread as it seems resolved. It looks
like there was a corrupt root directory, DRBD was doing some strange
things, and a few other things were bouncing around. Once the fsck was
done, most of the problems went away (duh).

I didn't do the original install, and couldn't understand how an initial
installation occurred if the driver used didn't support the card, so
yes, it appears "linux dd" is for fresh installs. Still don't know how I
would create a driver disk, though.

Thanks for the replies and help offered.

Steve