SOLVED Re: [CentOS] disk space issues...any help is greatly appreciated

Wed Nov 26 16:00:24 UTC 2008
Joost Waversveld <joost at waversveld.nl>

Ray Leventhal wrote:
> Sorin Srbu wrote:
>> Ray Leventhal <> scribbled on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 3:50 PM:
>>

>>> I have additional HDDs available if growing the partition is in order
>>> (would appreciate pointers to that, if applicable), but I'm really
>>> stumped as to where the space is being eaten up.
>>>

>> Try a yum clean all. That might help. But if it's as you say, not
>> connected to the internet, you probably are not running yum at all, so
>> it might not help. Check your temp-directories and clean out as
>> necessary.
>> <snip>
>>
> Thanks to all who replied.
>
> / filled up when my nightly rsync snapshot did something which I'm still
> looking into.
>
> I run a nightly rsync script to make copies (to an external HDD
> connected via USB) of user data files:
>
> #backup to USB drive location for /home
> # /media/bkup is /dev/sdg1 (USB 700GB drive)
> rsync -av --delete /home/ /media/bkup
> cd
>
> Well, in /media, there were 2 folders, not just one.../bkup and /bkup_
> as well as 2 .lock files.  I determined which was the last complete
> backup and deleted the other... needless to say / space began to
> increase, but I'm truly puzzled about why a mount point would take up
> space on / when the media is external.
>
> Anyone with insight into my flawed logic, please let me know :)
>
> Thanks for all help and the ongoing knowledge gained from this list.
>
> -Ray

when you mount an device, you will mount it to an existing directory
(/media/bkup in this case).

when the drive is mounted, everything that is written to /media/bkup
will be written on the external disk.

When the drive is unmounted, everything that is written to that
directory, will be written to.. euhm.. the directory, thus the local
file system.

So maybe something happened with the mount of the external disk??

Best regards,

--
Joost Waversveld