[CentOS] Stop the FUD Xen is not deprecated

Thu Nov 27 10:10:28 UTC 2008
Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik at iki.fi>

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 02:20:31PM -0500, Ross Walker wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 1:01 PM, nate <centos at linuxpowered.net> wrote:
> > Joseph L. Casale wrote:
> >
> >> ESXi, like all vmware products, is highly polished and very reliable.
> >> I am a HUGE fan of Xen, spent a lot of time learning it and I love it.
> >> But don't discount ESXi since it's not open source.
> >
> > So very much off topic but I can't resist :)
> >
> > I like vmware a lot because they have made good products and have
> > been a very long time supporter of linux. I have been using vmware
> > since before 1.0 back in 1999 or maybe late 1998 on linux. In 2003-2005
> > I used a bunch of VMWare GSX(again on linux), worked well, never let
> > me down. In 2007 I started using ESX 3, so far only used the foundation
> > version not the enterprise, but it's dirt cheap, $999 per 2 sockets,
> > the same exact software was $3750 per 2 sockets a little over a year
> > ago.
> >
> > It's among the most solid pieces of software I've ever used myself.
>
> Well put, I also think that too.
>
> I think the failure of Xen was it's failure to get included in the Linux kernel
> early on. Now it's too late, there is such a wide gap between their
> 2.6.18 kernel and the current 2.6.27 kernel and the work to catch up
> their hypervisor/kernel to current is going to make the work of polishing
> their existing code suffer, not to mention that the distributions out there
> are readying new releases on more current kernels that won't have the
> Xen api built in and will need to either drop or patch/maintain them
> which is too much work/effort = $$$.
>
> Not getting Xen into the kernel earlier is going to be Xen's downfall.

Yes, it was a failure to not actively work on pv_ops based dom0 already
earlier.

At the moment Xensource is working on that, and the plan atm is to get
pv_ops based dom0 patches ready for Linux 2.6.29.

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps

Latest pv_ops dom0 patches: http://xenbits.xen.org/paravirt_ops/patches.hg/

These patches have already been sent to lkml for review and comments..

Then again it will take a while to catch up with all the feature currently
present in the Xenlinux 2.6.18 tree..

-- Pasi