[CentOS] Yum weirdness

Thu Nov 27 13:37:16 UTC 2008
Sorin Srbu <sorin.srbu at orgfarm.uu.se>

Hi all,

Running CentOS 5.2 x86.

Tried to do a yum update on the command line a while ago and an error stating
"No module named yum" popped up.

I then tried importing the yum module by first entering "python" in a terminal
window and then "import yum", for which I was rewarded with a "ImportError: No
module named yum".

Then I downloaded a yum rpm-package via pbone.net. I got this one
http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/8092652/com/yum-3.2.8-9.el5.centos.2.1.noarch.rpm.html
and then did an rpm -Uvh on the rpm-file, then tried running yum again with no
success. I still got the no module named yum-message.

I further did a rpm -q yum* and was told that the above rpm wasn't installed, so
I redid the install but added --force, but yum still gives the error message.

Running rpm -V yum* rpm* python* gives

package yum-3.2.8-9.el5.centos.2.1.noarch.rpm is not installed
package rpm* is not installed
package python* is not installed

Which is kinda weird, unless I'm missing something really obvious...

On a hunch I ran yum extender from the startmenu, or whatever it's called in
CentOS, and this works. It says yum v3.2.8 IIRC is invoked. I got a list of
updated packages, the ones Karanbir announced recently and they installed fine
w/o any problem.
	Yum has run fine when I used it about three-four weeks ago. Same problem is
seen on three of my workstations. The fourth, a server running the latest
x86-PAE kernel runs yum just fine on the command line.

The answers I find searching the web more or less replicates the above steps
I've already done, so I'm kind off at a loss here on what to do next to have yum
on the command-line working. Can you guys help?

Thanks.
--
BW,
	Sorin