[CentOS] only backup selected files

Sun Nov 9 15:22:11 UTC 2008
Robert <kerplop at sbcglobal.net>

Bent Terp wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 4:49 AM, Robert <kerplop at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm sure there will be other ideas but in the absence of an "include these
>> files" file option, you could employ a simple loop to append the files in a
>>

> man tar:
>        -T, --files-from F
>               get names to extract or create from file F

Yes, I overlooked that option, as I imagine the OP did.
>> list to a tar archive.  For example, if you had a file named "include" with
>> these 3 records
>>
>>   /bin/gawk
>>   /etc/fstab
>>   /etc/resolv.conf
>>
>> This would cause the 3 files to be archived as "included.tar".
>> [rj at mavis ~]$ while read inc ; do echo "including:" $inc ; tar -v -r $inc -f
>>  included.tar ; done < include
>>

> or: tar -jvrc included.tar.bz2 --files-from include

Almost....
1. Options "r" and "c" are mutually exclusive.
     tar: You may not specify more than one `-Acdtrux' option
    Try `tar --help' or `tar --usage' for more information.
2. Without the "f" option, output goes to std out
This works:

    [rj at mavis ~]$ tar -jvcf included.tar.bz2 --files-from include
    tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
    /bin/gawk
    /etc/fstab
    /etc/resolv.conf
    [rj at mavis ~]$

I hope the OP has followed this far without giving up on our combined
blunders.  :-(

> BR Bent

KRS Robert