[CentOS] re: HA Storage

Sun Nov 9 15:51:56 UTC 2008
Stephen Harris <lists at spuddy.org>

On Sun, Nov 09, 2008 at 08:59:24PM +0530, Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
> on this matter, Sunfire x4150 a 1U machine with 2xcpu sockets, "eight"
> drive bays, 64 GB expandability, 4 NIC packs quite a punch for its
> size.

Sunfire X4540; 4U, dual quad core AMD Opteron, 48 (count them!) hotswap
SATA drives (so can scale to 48TByte of space in 4U), etc etc.

When Sun came out with the X4500 I immediately said "NAS server".  Then
Sun came out with ZFS and I said "Really, NAS server".  Now I note that
the X4540 is marketed as "Simply the best selling storage server".  Heh.

ZFS is really nice.  If VMware was supported on Solaris 86 then I
would have built my own home server with Solaris rather than CentOS.
(Although I'm not using VMware on that machine, at present; merely
UserModeLinux for my protected instances).  But CentOS is handling my
5*1Tbyte RAID5 OK for now :-)

--

rgds
Stephen