[CentOS] can I use 2 HDD's with the same LVM labels at the same time?

Mon Nov 10 07:51:40 UTC 2008
nate <centos at linuxpowered.net>

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> Basically, most HDD's are setup the same, but I want to add another
> HDD to the same server, and use data on both HDD's.
>
> So, do I rename System with vgrename then?

If your wanting to add a new disk to the same volume
group and use it then no you don't need to rename
anything, you can use the vgextend command after
running pvcreate on the new disk to extend the
existing volume group to the new disk.

If your wanting to add an existing disk to a system
that already has a conflicting volume group name in
it, then yes you'll need to vgrename one of them so
they do not conflict.

nate