[CentOS] Kernel compilation problems

Tue Nov 11 09:18:48 UTC 2008
Alan M Goodman <alan at freeimagehosting.tv>

Test wrote:
> All,
>
> I am trying to build a custom kernel, following the howto and some stuff
> i found on the forums (mkspec.patch)
>
> 1. the mkspec.patch gives an error:
>
> [root at centos linux]# patch -p1 < mkspec.patch
> (Stripping trailing CRs from patch.)
> patching file scripts/package/mkspec
> Hunk #1 succeeded at 103 with fuzz 2 (offset 22 lines).
> Hunk #2 FAILED at 115.
> 1 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file scripts/package/mkspec.rej
>

> 2. When i create an rpm out of the standard configfile (/boot/config....)
> the RPM file created is about 100mb which to me seems a bit large...?

Personally I have always compiled my kernels a different way.

Grab the sources from www.kernel.org.

# tar -jxf kernel-2.6.20.tar.bz2
Decompress them.
# make menuconfig
<change your settings appropriately, often the only thing I change is
the CPU type>
(if this doesnt run properly try yum install ncurses-devel)
Exit out of make menuconfig

# make bzImage
# make modules
# make modules_install
# make install

If you have a dual core machine run each make command after menuconfig
with -j2, replacing the number 2 with the amount of cores you have.
This will run multiple compile jobs at once to save time.

Usually works ok for me - tho I never need to distribute my kernels so
your milage may vary.

My first post to the list.

Alan