[CentOS] Terminal emulation scripting

Wed Nov 12 21:04:39 UTC 2008
Bill Campbell <centos at celestial.com>

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008, Frank M. Ramaekers wrote:
>I need to write a script that will contact a remote system using TELNET
>with VT52/1xx/2xx/320 and perform some operations.  I am familiar with
>TELNET but it appears that it won't work for my purposes.

Many systems don't allow telnet connections because of security
issues, using ssh (secure shell instead).

If the issue is dealing with programs on the remote system that
are designed for interactive use, this is difficult to do
reliably although not impossible using ``expect'' via some kind of
remote connection, ssh, telnet, etc. (I was running Tandy's Xenix
accounting applications on a Tandy Model 16 24 years ago using
nothing but input and output redirection from the shell, but that
was not pretty :-).

The ``expect'' program is built around ``tcl'' scripting, but
there are perl and python modules that work reasonably well too.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186

Many citizens because of their respect for what only appears to be a law
are cunningly coerced into waiving their rights due to ignorance.
    -- U.S. v. Minker