[CentOS] is udev necessary?

Mon Nov 17 01:51:54 UTC 2008
Rudi Ahlers <rudiahlers at gmail.com>

On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 2:32 AM, Berend Dekens <berend at cyberwizzard.nl> wrote:
> Rudi Ahlers schreef:
>>
>> I have managed to kill udev on start-up (with CTRL + C), and then it boots
>> up.
>> So, do I need udev? And what is it's purpose?
>
> Udev is a device probing layer. In the old days we had a /dev system prepped
> for standard use which would be complemented with other bootup scripts to
> make nodes for all hardware in your system.
>
> Udev is the successor of this system (the one line history version anyway)
> and builds up the /dev folder with all your devices. In theory this is great
> but most systems (and I'm fairly sure CentOS as well) still have a number of
> base nodes in /dev before udev is fully started. This helps the system boot
> and in case of emergency (udev crashing or a broken probing like you have)
> this would allow the system to boot and find its primary devices (if you are
> lucky this might include all neccesary devices, in my case for example, when
> udev won't start I only have one of 2 SATA controllers online).
>
> So in short, you might be able to turn off udev but adding new hardware,
> plugging in usb devices or similar or starting some non-standard hardware
> won't work any more. Perhaps there are more serious issues (like soft-raids
> ignoring the raid and just using one drive).
>
> You might be able to see in the kernel console (ctrl+f10) what happens just
> before the system reboots - if it is a module which fails (most likely) you
> could blacklist it. That would solve the reboots. If the module is in fact
> critical for some piece of hardware you might be able to tweak it instead of
> disabling udev altogether.
>
> Do the system logs contain any clues what is going on or does the system
> kills itself before logging to harddisc comes on?
>
> Regards,
> Berend Dekens

Hi Barend,

Thanx for the info :)

Unfortunately I don't see anything useful in the logs. If I let it
bootup by itself, then it reboots just after booting udev. If,
however, I press CTRL+C the moment I see udev on the screen, I have
attached a snippet from /var/log/message - which doesn't show me
anything at all.

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers