[CentOS] Gigabit Lan doesn't work

Mon Nov 17 03:43:38 UTC 2008
Rob Townley <rob.townley at gmail.com>

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 8:38 PM, Rilawich Ango <maillisting at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  I have installed Centos completely.  However, the LAN  doesn't work.
>  Below is the message after I issue.  How can I make it work?
>
> 00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82567V-2 Gigabit
> Network Connection
>
> Thanks!

Were you running a 2.6.27 pre-release kernel?  Everyone should read
this as there about 12 NICs that could be rendered useless especially
in a chipset integrated NIC.

"If you have an Intel PCI Express add-on card or integrated NIC, avoid
the Ubuntu 8.10 alphas, OpenSUSE 11.1 beta, SUSE Linux Enterprise 11
beta, Fedora Rawhide or for that matter, any distribution that comes
with a 2.6.27 pre-release kernel."  So says the following arstechnica
article.
   http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/96509133/m/638006184931/inc/-1

i am no firmware expert, but i would think if you can find an
identical machine, you should be able to use the following command
from the article to backup good firmware, then use ethtool -E to
restore the good firmware over your bad firmware.
sudo ethtool -e ethX > savemyeep.txt