[CentOS] HW issue during instalaltion

Tue Nov 18 03:58:38 UTC 2008
nate <centos at linuxpowered.net>

Philip Manuel wrote:
> It uses a NV chipset,
> nVidia GeForce 8200,
> http://au.shuttle.com/product_detail_spec.jsp?PI=939 . I added an Intel
> Ethernet card to get over the Marvell Ethernet issue, and a NVIDIA
> 8600GT card.
>
> I forgot to add I used no additional driver disks to get Vista to see
> the disk.

Try Ubuntu, you probably wouldn't need additional driver disks to
get it workin' either. CentOS is a server oriented distro, not
a desktop distro. Hardware differences between desktop and server
are almost night and day in many cases. The system you link to
is most definitely a desktop class system.

Or perhaps Fedora, though I'm not much of a fan of the short
support cycle for Fedora(assuming it's still 6 months).

With Ubuntu(and possibly Fedora) you get the added advantage
of tons more packages than what is included with CentOS/RHEL
without having to resort to problematic 3rd party repositories
or crazy yum configurations to try to keep a sane installation
running.

CentOS works great for what it's built for.

nate