OT: windiag (Re: [CentOS] how can I stress a server?)

Tue Nov 18 10:12:14 UTC 2008
Tru Huynh <tru at centos.org>

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 11:55:58AM +0200, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Tru,
>
> The hardware works, but the moment I start running server based
> application (i.e. XEN VPS's), then the load goes very high.

install sysstat and read the collected data with sar(1).
Check for your IOwait. You don't provide any valuable data,
only partial information of what you think is wrong...

> And although you're right in saying that a hardware problem is
> off-topic, I need a way to prove to the suppliers that it is in fact a
> problem with the hardware. Since everything works fine when you switch
> it on, yet when I start-up the XEN virtual machines, the load goed
> exsesively high.
give figures, logs, information on your xen vm setups
(file disk based, lvm , ....) what os on the xen domU.

You force people to ask you question in order to try to help you,
that's not the way it should be if you want peoplet to be interested
in helping you...
/rant finished.

> My other choice is to go and purchase Windows & install it, to see
> what happens. Then, if the same problem persists I can say it's
> hardware, if not, then it's software related.
try another linux distribution with xen support, or BSD's
Even if it's software/driver (CentOS-5) related, that will not help
you much beforei/until it is fixed upstream...

> Sorry for sounding so rude in my earlier posts, I just spend 3 days
> without sleep @ the datacentre trying to sort this out, and I need to
> tell my clients why the machine performs so poorly compared to the
> previous one which only has a Core 2 Dou CPU with 4GB RAM in it. See
> my problem?
sure, take a quick break :) while audit/sysstat collect data

Tru