[CentOS] syslog remote computers

Thu Nov 20 03:32:51 UTC 2008
Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com>

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 7:02 PM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> Trying to figure out if there's a way to get syslog.conf to direct
> remote logging from a wireless access point to log to a separate file
> instead of the main syslog and can't figure out how that could be done
> from man syslog.conf (or man 2/3 of syslog)
>
> this clearly doesn't work
>
> 192.168.1.251.*                               /var/log/WAP-2.log
>
> which according to the man page, makes sense since this the IP address
> is not a facility.
>
> Is there a way to do this that I am missing?

The stock syslog package can't do this. You need rsyslog to make this
happen. You can set up various templates and filters based on the log
file information also. See
http://www.bofh-hunter.com/2007/12/31/centralized-logging-with-centos-and-rsyslog/
for a brief walkthrough on the basics.

George Orwell