[CentOS] how can I stress a server?

Thu Nov 20 19:31:21 UTC 2008
Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com>

RobertH wrote on Thu, 20 Nov 2008 09:15:03 -0800:

> DL380 G3 Dual

And how does he squeeze that in 1U?

AFAIR, Rudi's located in South Africa and has already stated several times
that prices there for servergrade stuff are not as cheap as you can get it
in some other areas of the world. May apply for Ebay deliveries to SA as
well (if they ship at all to SA). And, looking at the Ebay ads, I sure
wouldn't buy such a machine.
I can understand that Rudi builds his own servers in that situation, I do
this sometimes as well. One thing what I would have avoided if possible,
though, is buy a board with such a new chipset that you can't even get
lm_sensors to run. (Or you didn't research too well, Rudi. You can upgrade
lm_sensors from rpmforge and you can get coretemp.ko patches for some
chipsets. I had to do this myself for an "oldish" Intel 5000 server
chipset.) That's another thing where server-grade stuff comes nice into
play: the machines usually include BMC, so you are not dependant on
lm_sensors and kernel.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany