[CentOS] PPTP VPN server

Mon Nov 24 17:48:25 UTC 2008
Bill Campbell <centos at celestial.com>

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008, "Germ?n Andr?s Pulido F." wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've been using linux to give VPN access to my corporate LAN using the
> following software:
>
> Centos 5.2 x86
> kernel 2.6.18-92.1.18.el5xen
> pptpd (poptop) 1.3.4
> ppp 2.4.4

Headaches deleted.

I would highly recommend using OpenVPN rather than using pptp,
OpenVPN doesn't require kernel support as it's built on top of
SSL, is far more secure than PPTP (the product of ``Kindergarten
Cryptographers'' according to one well-know security paper), and
there are clients for all flavors of Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X.

Some of our clients used PPTP when we were using SuSE Enterprise
Linux, but we moved them to OpenVPN when we moved to CentOS.  I
had been trying to get them off PPTP anyway, and CentOS's lack of
standard support was the factor that got them to consider OpenVPN.
I wrote a couple of scripts to automatically generate the OpenVPN
certificates for clients making it easy for unsophisticated
clients to install them on their Windows and Macs machines, and
they now are much happier than the were with PPTP.

Bill
Fax:            (206) 232-9186

DOS: n., A small annoying boot virus that causes random spontaneous system
     crashes, usually just before saving a massive project.  Easily cured by
     UNIX.  See also MS-DOS, IBM-DOS, DR-DOS.