[CentOS] bioinformatics repository?

Tue Nov 25 11:11:26 UTC 2008
Davide Cittaro <davide.cittaro at ifom-ieo-campus.it>

Hello John, and thanks for the tips

On Nov 25, 2008, at 11:59 AM, John wrote:

> David, you could try Checking out the Scientific Linux Project to
> Maybe add
> and use there Repos. It should also be binary compatable with CentOS.

Unfortunately that repos is suitable for physics and not really for
biology... :-( I found some useful rpm in FC6 repository but still I
miss a lot of packages.
What is strange is that lot of those packages are standard on less
spread OS (I use Gentoo and FreeBSD)...

> That
> would be the only Distributon that I know of that would maybe have
> what you
> need. The only others would be maybe Debian Based Systems because of
> the
> huge alternate package options. But off course then you would need to
> convert the debian packages to rpm format and there is also a tool
> to do
> that.

That's interesting... is it a yum wrapper for apt-get or do I have to
download .deb packages and resolve dependencies on my own?

Thanks again

/*
Davide Cittaro

Cogentech - Consortium for Genomic Technologies
via adamello, 16
20139 Milano
Italy

tel.: +39(02)574303007