SOLVED Re: [CentOS] disk space issues...any help is greatly appreciated

Wed Nov 26 15:50:02 UTC 2008
Ray Leventhal <centos at swhi.net>

Sorin Srbu wrote:
> Ray Leventhal <> scribbled on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 3:50 PM:
>

>> I have additional HDDs available if growing the partition is in order
>> (would appreciate pointers to that, if applicable), but I'm really
>> stumped as to where the space is being eaten up.
>>

> Try a yum clean all. That might help. But if it's as you say, not connected to
> the internet, you probably are not running yum at all, so it might not help.
> Check your temp-directories and clean out as necessary.
> <snip>

Thanks to all who replied.

/ filled up when my nightly rsync snapshot did something which I'm still
looking into.

I run a nightly rsync script to make copies (to an external HDD
connected via USB) of user data files:

#backup to USB drive location for /home
# /media/bkup is /dev/sdg1 (USB 700GB drive)
rsync -av --delete /home/ /media/bkup
cd

Well, in /media, there were 2 folders, not just one.../bkup and /bkup_
as well as 2 .lock files.  I determined which was the last complete
backup and deleted the other... needless to say / space began to
increase, but I'm truly puzzled about why a mount point would take up
space on / when the media is external.

Anyone with insight into my flawed logic, please let me know :)

Thanks for all help and the ongoing knowledge gained from this list.

-Ray