[CentOS] enable repo download and save but no install

Thu Nov 27 09:42:45 UTC 2008
Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos at br-online.de>

Jerry Geis wrote:
> Is there a way to enable a repo, and ask it to download a package and
> all dependencies and save these files to a given directory then some
> time later execute a  command to install those files that were saved.
>
> Is that possible?

Yes.

"yum deplist vlc" shows you all dependencies. Do some grep/awk magic to
write the package names which you find in the "Provider:" lines into a
file. echo vlc >> file.

Then do a "yum install --downloadonly $(cat file)"

Maybe you should clean up the deplist a tad, as it contains packages you
probably already have installed (like zlib or glibc).

> I'm not concerned about updates to this package.

If that vlc ever plays streams from the internet, I would be concerned.

Ralph