[CentOS] Stop the FUD Xen is not deprecated

Thu Nov 27 16:42:22 UTC 2008
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Les,
>
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Do you mean some specific version of VMware or what as being locked
>> in?   I move images around among Linux/Windows/Mac hosts with the
>> free server on Linux/Windows and Fusion on the Mac.
>
> you might want to step back a bit and workout exactly what constitutes
> a vmware environment. The bit about vmware being more than just an
> image seems to be missing at the moment :D

I'm not sure what you mean.  The way I use it, there is the 'virtual
machine' and the image.  The image is transportable to any of the
virtual machine hosts and with only the usual amount of pain to move a
working system to different hardware, to a physical host.  That's the
least amount of lock-in I can imagine.  I do wish Centos had better
hardware-migration tools, though.

> Also, the conversation was specific about their hypervisor based
> products ESXi being the main one in question here.

OK, but you just said VMware...  I don't use any of the magic stuff that
a physical machine can't do.  And using the server product I can run
disk intensive things like databases and NFS home directories on the
physical host, something that seems to not be recommended under Xen.
Virtualbox looks like a reasonable option these days too but I haven't
had a chance to try it out.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com