[CentOS] [Help] About Participate in CentOS - knoweldge sharing.

Fri Nov 28 23:13:28 UTC 2008
Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk>

Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 1:57 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
>> Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
>>> I filled it out...
>> I didn't even click on it.  the initial posting smelled far too spammy to
>> me.
>
> I agree.  But some "investigation" has been done.  It looks legit.
> Please see the Ned's note in this forum thread:
>
> http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=17462&forum=45
>
> The spammy looks of the original post have been removed there.

Despite the use of a generic yahoo email account, the originating IP of
the mail to this list also came from an edu.tw domain. I guess the OP
didn't make a very good job of making it easily verifiable as non-spam
so list members are right to be somewhat suspicious.

If only I could get my users to be as suspicious of clicking on links in
emails!